Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How offen do I need to change my oil on a new Volvo?

I was recently was told by a Volvo mechanic that because of the way that Volvo build there engines. I didn't need to change my oil every 3000 miles but instead every 6000 miles. Is this correct?|||Volvo recommends a 7,500 mile interval for new cars. I would stick with a 4,000 mile interval if you drive in an urban or suburban environment. The first oil change and inspection (at 7,500 miles) is free at the Volvo dealer. I haven't had the oil changed on my Volvo yet. It's approaching 7,500 miles. After the first oil change, I'm going to stick with 3,800 to 4,500 mile intervals. I also recommend using semi-synthetic (or synthetic) oil. Use of synthetic oil will extend the oil change interval to around 5,000 miles, in my opinion.





By the way, no matter what your interval, my understanding is that a maintenance reminder will light up in the message box every 7,500 miles. You need to get it reset by a mechanic, or you can reset it yourself - directions are posted on online forums.|||It will tell you in your owner's manual.|||As often as recommended by the manufacturer. Open the glove box, take out the manual and read it. If you can't find it, drive to the dealer, walk into the service department, and ask.





If you don't do it as recommended, you will void your warranty.|||every three months or 5,000 kilometeres, which ever comes first.|||Every 45,000 miles|||is your Volvo brand new if it is change your oil as per the owners manual states for warranty|||if you do not go by the book then you will not keep the warranty up-to-date------------ the car care manual was written for a purpose and that will get the best service out of the car and cause less repair bills down the road --- bottom line is you bought a car you like and it is a vehicle that needs good and frequent care --- do the service to the car as guide-lined and both you and the ride will be happy............|||You should change the oil in your Volvo, once every other mile!





This way your car will use a lot less gas/petrol, and you will be less stressed as you will spend less time sitting in traffic jams!|||A lot depends on how you use the car and where you drive it. eg.. desert SW where I am the conditions are considered severe use..(blowing sand etc) so 3000 miles between changes is what I do. Does the engine get fully warmed up? Six thousand mile oil changes are not uncommon now, but how you use the car should dictate service intervals. Good Luck|||I would side with the Volvo mechanic. I would also look at the owners manual and see what is says. Alot of cars now have oil life sensors that work in conjuction with the engine computer to estimate oil life. Your Volvo MAY have such a sysytem. I have this in my car and I usually wait until it comes on, usually between 5,500 miles and 7,000 miles. To be assured that I use an oil that will go the distance I use synthetic oil. Your best bet is your owners manual and the Volvo mechanic|||Engineers design cars, not your auto mechanic. Open your car owner's manual and read it. It tells you everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment